Part quiche part pie, this dish has a few of my favourite ingredients, pine nuts, fetta cheese and spinach, combined much like the classic Greek meal Spanakopita. Yum!
However this creation is defined, I absolutely loved how it turned out and it was delicious warm for dinner or wrapped up cold for lunch.
Healthy Spinach Quiche
You will need a flan or pie baking dish for this recipe.
- 1/4 cup of almond meal
- 1/4 cup of wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/4 cup of gluten-free plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 4 eggs
- 6 cubes of frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/2 block of light fetta cheese, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons of milk of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift in the flours and mix together. Make a well in the middle of the flours and pour in the olive oil and water. Mix together until the ingredients start to come together. Use your hands to form a dough. Add more flour in the dough is too wet. Form a ball and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a small fry pan, sauté the garlic and onions until soft and fragrant. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Mix in the spinach, fetta, pine nuts and the cooked onions.
- Take out the dough and sprinkle with flour. Cover your kitchen bench with some cling film and also dust with flour. Roll out your dough with a rolling pin on the covered bench until you get a thin stretched circle to cover the pie dish. Make sure you use flour as you go to prevent the dough sticking.
- Lightly oil the pie dish and carefully transfer your rolled dough to cover. Press into the sides. Don't worry about it being perfect. Little bits of dough can be used to cover any patches or holes. It is important to not have any leaks in the dough to keep the filling intact.
- Once you are happy with the crust, blind bake for 10 minutes until crisp and slightly browned.
- Now you can pour your filling in and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve with a green salad with some kalamata olives.