October 05, 2012

A dieter's solution to peanut butter addiction

When I came across this product, I firstly couldn't work out what it was! Powdered peanut butter sounds pretty strange but I knew I wanted to know more because like many, I am totally addicted to peanut butter. I have never pinpointed the cause for my addiction; I didn't eat it as a child, I don't particularly like peanuts (yes that really doesn't make any sense) and my mum thinks peanut butter is disgusting (she is British and thinks marmalade is the way to go). Nevertheless I have to ration my peanut butter purchases as I have been known to eat a whole jar in a matter of days....which led me to think, is there an alternative?

My addiction is not a unique one; many fitness junkies and weight watchers like myself find it hard to resist peanut butter. It is filling and nutritious, full of good fats and protein, which makes it a great fitness food. However, it is just so hard to stop at one tablespoon, which packs a punch of over 100 calories. After you've hastily spooned a few mouthfuls straight from the jar, you could easily of consumed over 500 calories, equating to over one hour of hard running on the treadmill. Phew! Peanut butter's high fat and calorie content is why some dieters will not go near the stuff but for those who are peanut butter lovers, what is the solution?

This is what leads us to this new product 'Powdered Peanut Butter'. At first, I could not understand why you would want to or how you would eat this powdered peanut concoction. Then I realised you can technically create your own peanut butter than is virtually fat-free. How the powdered stuff works is that you mix the powder with water to create a peanut paste that is 85% lower in fat and calories than regular peanut butter. To make the powder, manufacturers squeeze the oil from the peanuts to make a powder virtually free from the fat from the nuts. What is also helpful about this powdered form is the removal of the temptation to dunk your spoon into that gooey delicious spread and down 200 calories without realising it. You make the peanut butter substitute as you need it, and can adjust the consistency to your preference.

The most popular brand seems to be PB2, which pops up on a lot of fitness websites. I personally can't wait to get my hands on it and try it for myself. I'd love to hear from you if you are a peanut butter addict like me or have tried this substitute version. I might finally be able to kick my addiction, or really just replace it....

No comments:

Post a Comment