What does eating clean mean exactly? Well basically eating clean is the practice of consuming whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from man-made foods consisting of sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. Foods like white bread, pre-packaged frozen meals, fried foods and chocolate bars are obvious no-no's. An easy way to remember if a food is clean; "if man made it, don't eat it."
I have an instagram account, which I love dearly, not only for my own little collection of treasured snaps but to see my friend's creativeness and learn tips from the leaders in fitness and nutrition. One of the lovely ladies I follow is the gorgeous Ellie Gonsalves, a beautiful Australian fitness model. She is one of my biggest body inspirations as she has earned her lean and curvy figure through hard work, dedication and eating well.
Recently on her own blog, http://elliegonsalves.blogspot.com.au she posted an article on her 'Clean Eating Plan', giving us a run-down on what she eats to get in shape. Ellie emphasises that sticking to a planned daily routine is important to ensuring you stay on track with your diet, and consistency is key.
You will also notice meals are eaten frequently throughout the day, which helps your metabolism stay in high intensity and not store fat. Ellie's mantra is 'do not skip meals!' as it slows your metabolism, and no one wants that. I also think skipping meals leads you up for a binge later and meal preparation is key. You know how it goes, you have eaten celery all day just to stuff yourself with everything in the pantry when you get home. Don't set yourself up for failure!
ELLIE GONSALVES EATING PLAN
Meal 1 – 7:00am - Breakfast
- 1 piece of organic gluten-free light rye toast + squeeze of lemon + ¼ Avocado (No Butter) + banana
-A shake with half a cup of natural fresh mixed berries (no added sugar), 1 cup of raw oats + 1 scoop of protein from The Supplement Den + 1 cup of water..
- Warm water with lemon & freshly sliced ginger
- 1 scoop of Pharma-Greens with water
Meal 2 – 9:30am – Snack
- 1 medium apple + 15g natural almonds + a few goji berries
Meal 3 – 12:30pm - Lunch
50g of chick peas or 4 bean mix + salad
- Salad + gluten free light rye bread made into a sandwich (Use small amount of avocado as a substitute for butter if you need it)
Organic lentil pattie with sliced zucchini, carrot, garlic & onion
- 1 cup of organic green tea with freshly sliced ginger
Meal 4 – 3:30pm - Snack
- 1 cup of steamed vegetables + tofu + lentils + 4 bean mix
- 1 cup of organic green tea with squeeze of lemon with freshly sliced
Supplement Den Pre Workout Shake (20 mins before workout) –
Supplement Den During Workout Shake (Consume during workout) -
Supplement Den Post Workout Shake – 6pm (Straight after workout) –
Meal 5 – 7pm – Dinner
Vegetarian stiryfry + lentils + chickpeas+ vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, carrot, baby corn, organic tofu, squash & spinach) with garlic, chives, chilli, coriander, lemongrass & onion
Veggie pattie with cooked spinach, chickpeas in an organic wrap with a side of tofu
Mediterranean salad (Lentils, chick peas, leafy greens, tomatoes, spinach, spanish onion with steamed vegetables)
- 1 cup of organic chamomile tea before bed
- I stay away from coffee & dairy products - Milk, cheese ect..
- I drink 2- 3 litres of water per day + 1 litre for every hour of exercise done
- For best results on this plan – No Alcohol is the way to go!
- I allow myself 1 meal off per week.
- I take flaxseed oil + coconut oil gel capsules + hair, nails & skin supplement + a multi-vitamin every morning with breakfast
- Stick to this plan 100%.
- Avoid store bought juices, coffee, milk & sugary drinks/energy drinks