March 11, 2012

Skinny strawberry chocolate muffins


Freshly baked strawberry chocolate muffins 
Cake batter in progress


I trialled a new cake mix I found in the health-food section at the supermarket. I spend a lot of time in supermarkets; they are oddly calming places. Once prejudice against cake mixes, I found saviour in these handy mixes when I converted to gluten-free. Not knowing where to start in the world of gluten-free baking, I found these a great help in paving the way into this new avenue of the baking world. Cake mixes are also great for busy families, for your children to practice baking with, when you are short on time or when you just can't face the thought of starting from scratch. This gluten-free mix is reduced sugar (most low-fat cake mixes are loaded with sugar) but this one is made with the all natural sweetener Natvia.

My cakes turned out to have a lovely texture and rich taste, and I actually think they are much nicer than a 'low-fat' regular cake mix, which I think can taste very artificial and cake-mix detectable. I enhanced my batter with some added flavours (see my recipe below), but the mix is very versatile so add whatever you like. I would suggest banana chunks, dark chocolate chips or chopped nuts.


Skinny strawberry chocolate muffins


Ingredients:

  • Vitarium reduced-sugar muffin mix
  • 250 ml of chocolate soy milk (reduced-fat)
  • 50 grams of melted butter
  • 2 organic eggs
  • 1 cup of frozen or fresh small strawberries (hulled)
Method:
  1. Using an electric mixer, combine all ingredients on low speed for 30 seconds until combined.
  2. Scrape down the bowl and remix for 3 minutes on medium speed.
  3. Fill muffin holes with the mixture (either covered in patty pans or sprayed with cooking oil) - I don't specify the number here as I made 20 small muffins. You may like to make larger cakes. Either way, you will need two muffin tins.
  4. Press in 3 strawberries into each muffin and lightly press into the mix.
  5. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until risen and browned.
  6. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment