January 05, 2012

How to make fresh almond milk


This rich and natural milk alternative is my favourite dairy milk replacement. When I first realised I needed to give up dairy to gain improved digestive balance, I wasn't sure what type of milk replacement to choose. Years later, I have tried all different types, including oat milk, soy milk, rice milk and almond milk. These are all natural products and I do find them all pleasant tasting.

I do love the fact that you can make your own almond milk at home. Almond milk has many health properties and makes a nutritious alternative to dairy because almonds are naturally packed in calcium. Gwenyth Paltrow is a big fan of almond milk and on her Goop website (a healthy lifestyle site) she recently featured this recipe to make it at home. As she insists, it is really, really easy!

Almond milk makes a great addition to smoothies, porridge and baking recipes.

Almond Milk

Ingredients:
* 1 cup raw almonds
* water

Soak the raw almonds in the 2 cups of water for 2-8 hours or over night. Strain, rinse well, then add to blender with 3 cups of fresh water. Blend for 45 seconds, until the almonds are broken down.

Strain though a fine mesh strainer.

Store milk in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment