September 04, 2011

nuts for nutella - and all things French!



I first fell in love with Nutella when I went to Paris at the age of fifteen. It has a chocolate taste so unique to Europe that every time I taste the rich hazelnut spread, I am transported back to the kitchen where I ate foie gras and brie cheese every day. While that diet is certainly not that of a skinny chef, there is merit to 'French women don't get fat.' French women don't get fat, but they do eat bread and pastry, drink wine, and regularly enjoy three-course meals. What really is the merit to this diet is the concept of eating and drinking in moderation.

One tablespoon of Nutella has 100 calories and when savoured, is a delicious treat. It is also great when added to a few tablespoons of low-fat cream cheese and whizzed up to make a chocolate icing.

I like to make chocolate biscuits by spreading Nutella over milk arrowroot bicuits and sprinkling with dessicated coconut. It is very French tasting, but not as guilt ridden as a pain au chocolat! As for the brie and the pâté, I haven't yet devised skinny versions of those tempting treats! Although I think we can apply the 'french women don't get fat' rules to those - moderation is key.

For a special treat, try Nigella's divine Nutella Cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment