August 21, 2011

cheat's cheesecake bites


When I was younger, I never understood the fuss about cheesecake. My partner, however, adores the dessert and as they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, I endevoured to make one. What I did realise about cheesecake was its potential to be high in protein and relatively low in fat. As most cheesecake recipes use ricotta or cream cheese, it is fairly easy to replace these with skim versions.

Since I made my first cheesecake a few years ago, I have created many different flavours and enjoyed eating them all. It is always popular at dinner parties and family members always rave about the creamy texture. Here is my delicious blueberry cheesecake, served with a side of French champagne of course!

The only downside to a cheesecake is the time required to make one. While not a difficult cake to make (gelatin and those complicated ingridients are not needed, despite what recipes say), you will need time to bake the cake and allow it to adequately set to make sure your finished masterpiece doesn't ooze out onto the bench during its final reveal.

When I am craving my new favourite dessert and time is not of the essence, I whip up a batch of cheesecake cookies. Sweet and tart, these cookies always satisfy those cravings and take mere minutes to make.

CHEESECAKE COOKIES

6 shredded wheat biscuits
Low-fat cream cheese spread (I don't use the fat-free version as I find the flavour quite comprimised in this instance)
Manuka honey
Toasted flaked almonds

Assemble the biscuits and drizzle with honey, allowing the topping to soak into the biscuits for a few minutes. Dollop with cream cheese and drizzle with more honey. Sprinkle with flaked almonds for the finishing touch.

Variation:
- Replace honey with creamed manuka honey.
- Replace honey with rasberry jam, topping the biscuits with fresh rasberries.
- Replace cream cheese with low-fat ricotta and mix in some cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment